Sunday, 27 January 2013

Chewy Flapjacks

Chewy Flapjacks

I love flapjacks!

Mainly because I can chow down on a whole tray and pretend they're healthy because of all the oats that are in them.

Yeah that's right, Guilt free snacking (I wish but we can all pretend right?)

These are chock full of sugar, butter and sweet, sweet syrup.

I mean the best kind of treat is an all butter treat and I haven't met a kid that doesn't love these babies so they're great for birthday parties.

Now as I was researching flapjacks (you know I like to see what everyone else is up too on the flapjack front) I came across the shocking news that in the US a 'Flapjack' is a pancake!

Which in my very sheltered mind means a lot of you lovely Americans out there may not have had a true British flapjack (A big sorry to all the Americans who have had British flapjacks for my generalisation)

And they are the most amazing things on this planet.

So easy to make, very little ingredients and crazy yummy.

Now this recipe calls for Golden Syrup as most flapjack recipes do and I know a lot of people who aren't from my neck of the woods either haven't really heard of it or just can't get they're hands on it.

Golden Syrup is a very thick and particularly sweet syrup.

I can't honestly tell you what would be a good alternative to Golden Syrup but from a little bit of research I've done on the internet a lot of people seem to mix dark corn syrup and honey. (If someone knows of a better alternative let me know and I'll add it to this post)

But Golden Syrup is the holy grail of this snack and I wouldn't be able to make it with anything else.

These bars are oaty and sweet, soft and chewy and slightly crispy on the edges.

And bring me straight back to my childhood after just one bite of these scrummy goodies.

What baked snack brings you back to your childhood?

Chewy Flapjacks

Ingredients:
250g / 2 1/2 Cups Porridge Oats
150g / 2/3 Cup Butter
75g / 1/4 Cup Golden Syrup
75g / 1/3 Cup Caster / Super Fine Sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
50g / 1/3 Cup Plain Flour

Method:

Preheat your oven to 180c / 350f and line an 8 inch by 8 inch brownie tin with tin foil.

In a medium sized saucepan melt together the butter, sugar and golden syrup.

Once fully melted take the pan of the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.

Then quickly stir in the porridge oats until they are fully coated.

Now mix in the flour until very well mixed.

Pour the flapjack mixture into your prepared tin and press the top down gently to even in out.

Then bake 25 - 30 minutes.

When you take it out of the oven make sure you slice it while it is in the tin and still warm.

Then allow it to cool fully in the tin.

Once cool re-cut and enjoy.

22 comments:

  1. Now if these are not the yummiest treat that I have seen in a long time! I will have to put these on my to do list! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! looks so yummy, new blogloving follower
    no1food.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maple syrup would be a great substitution for US readers, it'd be quite nice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that but wasn't too sure whether Maple Syrup would be too thin??

      Delete
  4. I love your new blog look! So pretty and bright! Well done sweetie!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Shelley :D I really wanted it to look prettier :D

      Delete
  5. As an American living in the UK, I remember the first time someone offered me a flapjack and the confusion I felt when I saw an oat cookie type of thing! Both are delicous, but not related at all.
    As for any substitution for Golden Syrup, I have never found one in the 27 years I have lived over here, just like I have not found a substitution for Karo Syrup which is used in many American recipes. Interesting to see the maple syrup suggestion and if anyone tries that, I would love to hear the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good so it wasn't me making a horrific generalisation :D I was thinking maybe if you mixed maple syrup and honey together it might be a good subsitution. Not sure about the flavour though.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Pat, just to give you a heads up, I get Karo Syrup from Ocado.com (Waitrose shopping), so that might be a possible lead!

      Delete
  6. This American has never had the privilege. I plan to make these soon and rectify this situation straight away! They sound delicious and whenever butter is involved count me in! I think I will substitue maple syrup and see how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thats great! You'll have to let me know how you get on with the maple syrup :D

      Delete
  7. Oh I love the new look of the Blog!!! So bright and pretty! Also these look amazing almost like a chewy granola bar! Thanks for sharing at Show Me Your Plaid Monday's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks Chandra. I was thinking it was way too dark and I finally found an easy tutorial to design bits for the blog myself so I though it was about time. I suppose it is quite similar to a granola bar :D

      Delete
  8. I love your thinking oats are totally healthy it balances out the not so healthy ... LOL. Stopping by from Pin Me, I'm your newest follower, love if you stop by and follow back :) Running Away? I'll Help You Pack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, oh putting oats in anything so makes it healthy haha thanks for the follow I've just followed you back

      Delete
  9. These flapjacks sound and look so good! I used to LOVE flapjacks when I lived in England, and really miss them in the States! I will just have to make a batch of my own!!! Thanks so much for sharing! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! Well you'll have to let me know what you use in place of the golden syrup because I have no clue as to what can be used as an alternative

      Delete
  10. I love flapjacks! I haven't had them in forever. These look amazing. I love the oats in there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting!! I want to try them! Thanks for linking up at my Pin Me Linky Party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the recipe!

    They sell Lyon's Golden Syrup at Wegman's Supermarket (mostly an East Coast US chain) for those that are looking for it. It's in the International Foods aisle. Any grocer that has imported groceries may carry it as well.

    ReplyDelete