Sunday, 3 February 2013

Love Note Cookies



I've barely finished cleaning up the party streamers from my wee poppets birthday and Valentines day is already creeping up on us pretty quickly.

And ever since I met himself I panic around Valentines day . . . Every year!


Now this isn't because he's particularly hard to buy gifts for, I mean throw him a bar of chocolate, a copy of Rocky and he's a happy bunny. But us ladies like to make an effort, Right?

 I like to give gifts that show I know a person or at least look like I've put a lot of thought into them but when it comes to cakes, himself isn't really overly fussed.

I mean like last year. I planned an indoor picnic. I had crusty bread, nice cheeses and meats and I baked some yummy cupcakes . . . which weren't touched.

Ok he ate one of them but I'd baked 12 so this year I really wanted a no-bake recipe that still had all the personality for himself on Valentines day.

I mean you want to give that special person in your life something, well personal and you want it to look like you've made tonnes of effort but sometimes you just don't have the time or energy.

You want something simple to whip up, not overly expensive (this is a big prerequisite for most things in our house) but pretty all the same.

And whats simpler and prettier than coating some yummy cookies with white chocolate and writing love notes to your loved one.

You can make these Love Note Cookies as soppy and as personal as you like, or if you fancy being a bit saucy you can write sexy notes to your other half.

I just went for the classics 'I Love You', 'Kiss Me' and some love hearts and you can see my writing skills have plenty of room for improvement (I really didn't realise writing with royal icing would be so difficult) but you can be as imaginative as you like.

So enjoy the first Valentines recipe of this week, there's a good couple still to come to feast your eyes on.

What do you like to bake for Valentines Day?


Ingredients:

1 Packet of Golden Oreos or similar sandwich cookie
200g White Chocolate
Red Food Colouring (Gel not liquid)
Ready made Royal Icing

Method:

Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.

In a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, gently melt half of the white chocolate till smooth.

Taking one of the cookies, dip one half in the white chocolate then lay it chocolate side down on a fork and, using a spoon. cover the rest of the cookie in chocolate.

Gently tap the fork to get rid of any excess chocolate, then place the cookie on the baking tray,

Repeat this until all the chocolate has been used up.

Then melt the remaining white chocolate until smooth. Once smooth tint the chocolate to your desired shade using the food colouring and repeat the same dipping technique until all chocolate and cookies have been used up.

Allow all of the chocolate cookies to cool and once the chocolate has hardened completely you can mix up a little of your ready made Royal Icing per the instructions on the packaging.

Then, using an icing bag and writing nozzle. decorate your cookie with your little love notes of choice. 

Allow the royal icing to dry overnight.



29 comments:

  1. Very nice...pretty cookies and great idea for Valentine's Day...may I borrow a version of this recipe for my own blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks very much. Of course you can :D as long as there's a link back to where you got the inspiration/recipe that would great :D

      Delete
  2. hi, i'm following the "meet and greet weekend" blog hop . i would love for you to visit my blog and follow if you like it.

    http://www.blackinkpaperie.blogspot.com

    thanks
    new follow bev

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute! And I know how the whole V-day thing is. Last year I made little sticky notes for my husband's apple and banana and he just removed them and threw them away without looking! Sigh. I think he'd read these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it's not just my man then haha. I'd love do find sticky notes with little messages on valentines day, that's such a cute idea :D

      Delete
  4. these are adorable! I'm totally stealing this idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! and I know how hard it is to write in icing and yours are so neat! Thanks for Linking up at Show Me Your Plaid Monday's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chandra, Well it was a lot harder than I originally thought

      Delete
  6. Too cute! Great idea! They look so good! :)
    http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Those look delicious. I always buy the white chocolate covered oreos they have out at Christmas time. With this recipe, I could just make them myself instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise you could buy actual chocolate covered Oreos, I'm assuming you can only get them in America? Definitely try it, it's so easy to do

      Delete
  8. Yum...chocolate covered Oreos are my weakness! You have a very steady hand for doing that small detail work. I get to impatient :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jocelyn. Really? You think so? I thought I was a bit sloppy, I get pretty impatient aswell :D

      Delete
  9. What a clever way to jazz up some Oreos or other cookies.

    Thank you for visiting sarahmschultz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The writing on these cookies is perfect! You are right, nothing is better than dipping these in white chocolate! Would love for you to share this at Iron Chef Mom-White Chocolate!
    http://www.lemonsforlulu.com/2013/02/04/iron-chef-mom-party-white-chocolate/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy!!! I can't wait to try making these. I love the little sayings! Thanks for sharing.

    Melissa
    redflycreations(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Show and Tell Saturday is LIVE at Sassy Little Lady! I’d love to have you come join the party!

    http://www.sassylittlelady.com/blog/show-and-tell-saturday/show-and-tell-saturday-3

    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  13. chocolate covered Oreos are always good! Can't go wrong! Thanks for sharing on Two Cup Tuesday. I look forward to seeing you again Monday night!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are adorable for the V day party! I'm totally stealing this idea , i'll be happy if i'm half as successful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, they're really easy so I bet you won't have any trouble. Hope you like them :D

      Delete
  15. Not only are they adorable, but they look delicious! :)

    Also wanted to let you know you're being featured tomorrow on Inspiration in Progress!

    ReplyDelete